Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Oasis

Do you ever feel like you cannot take any more crap from anyone, that you suffocate more with each word that comes out of your conversation partner's mouth, that you cannot stand one more "Hi!How you've been?" or "What do you want to do after you graduate?" question? You're lucky if you don't periodically experience the excruciating, my-neurons-are-going-into-seizure-and-I'll-scream-if-I-here-one-more-life-related-question feeling that lately seems to cross my path very often. I was an angry ball ready to explode right before Easter, I couldn't hear one more word form anybody, I just wasn't capable of listening to those around me, who, sadly, happened to be my own beloved family whom, by the way, I hadn't seen for at least a month before this sudden self-arrival-at-anger...yes anger.
Sometimes, for no clear reason, just out of the blue, you get angry...this wasn't the case, because I knew exactly why I was so angry (surely, if you got to this part, you think that I probably had some philosophical/existential/psychological issues to be angry for...far from the truth)...I was angry with myself for being stupid for several days in a row, in the two weeks prior to Easter.
Stupidity, oh cruel and many times unavoidable stupidity... Beware! We can all fall into the allurement, of the almighty goddess of stupidity, but you're better of laughing about the fool's moment than tormenting yourself about it.
After the anger, after the regret, after a few sleepless nights, I finally found my mind's oasis and it only took me one trip to the library and a few bucks. The miraculous peace bringer was the late Petre Tutea, a man that spent 13 years in prison because he committed one crime: he said what he thought during the Security period, during Communism.
Reading his 322 words of wisdom I realised that anything can be accepted and reasonably dealt with if you assume what you are and analyse it without judgement...after all, being judgemental is just a privilege of the intelligent, because they have the necessary wit-weapons to defend their prejudice in front of any crowd...
...but the fact is: we are many times too cocky to handle, even for us.

No comments: